Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Friday, April 29, 2011

Living with Lupus

So far my post have been about HistoryBoy my wonderful son. This blog is about me. I was diagnosed at age 15 with Lupus. I have learned how to cope with it. At least I think I have. I have been on and off steroids and anti-inflammatories over the years. Someone with cold can sneeze across the room and I will catch it. It's how my immune system works. But about 5 years ago things changed. I was hospitalized with complications following a concussion. I couldn't speak. It was awful. Maybe the pain started before then but I am not really sure, but it is then that I know it began to get progressively worse. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 3 years ago. Throw asthma in there (which thankfully is under control) and migraines (which are not) and I feel like I am riding a roller coaster. One day my body seems like maybe it might be ok and I get an hour of cleaning done (by cleaning I usually mean trying to vacuum and do laundry) and then I feel so weak and ill I can't stand up anymore. Once HistoryBoy is in school, I will try to put a load of laundry in, and then I lie down until lunch. Then I lie down again until he gets home so I am rested and can help him with his homework and give him the attention he needs, which ends up usually being me sitting with him for 1/2 hour or so then going to lie down. and checking on him every so often. I am lucky he is such a good kid and so into watching programs like the history channel that I don't have to worry about what he is getting into if I lie down for a bit. Sometimes he comes in and sits on the bed and will do his homework in here or turn on the tv in my room so he can be near me and "keep and eye on me" Sometimes I don't know who takes better care of who.

I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave a comment or email me at teenahope@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment