Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Animal Planet and the Bird and the Bees

I like Animal Planet for the most part. There are a few shows I could do without but HistoryBoy loves documentaries and learning about this animal and that animal and as mind numbing as some of them as for me, this is fun for him, so we watch, or I sit with him while he watches and have a book with me or my laptop, which probably is cheating in the quality time mommy handbook but sometimes you do what you have to do to keep your mommy sanity.

Somewhere around the age of 8, HistoryBoy asked about sex, and it wasn't a passing question as I hoped. You know what I mean. Do we have bread? What's sex? Is Battle 360 on later? A question where he wasn't really interested in the answer right now, where it had floated along with everything else in his mind and fought for an opening to come out. Well he sat and looked at me and waited. "Mom, what's sex?" He asked again. I looked at him and asked where he had heard about it, he told me on CSI. That is when that particular show went off of his watch list, poison interest or no poison interest. (See yesterday's blog for more info on this) I said OK. Then it came to me, all of his animal planet watching and info was a blessing. Yeah! It wouldn't be as hard as I thought!

Ok HistoryBoy, you know what mating it right? "Yes" What is it?, I asked him. "When a male and female of a species get together to make babies. I saw lions and meercats and even the monkeys on animal planet one time. I saw a baby whale being born too!" OK, good. Sex is mating between a mommy and daddy. "Ok, but why is it called sex and not mating when people do it?" At this point I am just glad I didn't really have to go into a description of sex with my son. I am not squeamish, I just was not quite ready with all the details and how to approach the topic with him. They are synonyms sweetie. Do you know what synonyms are? He gives me his best *DUH* look and says "Mom they are words that mean the same thing. So mating means the same thing as sex?" and I say yes. He says "Ok" I can tell he is thinking about. I think I have totally managed to make it through this talk without screwing up or losing it or anything when he turns to me and say "Mom, can you and dad give me a demonstration?" And that is my HistoryBoy

Feel free to leave a comment or email me at teenahope@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment