Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Aspie Obsessions - Part 5

This #5 in a series of blogs about HistoryBoy's Asperger's obsesssions.

If you read yesterday's blog, you will probably realize I was grateful for a lull in the last obsession. He went from disasters into wanting to know everything there is to know about ships, and planes, mostly dealing with World War II, hence his HistoryBoy name. Although I guess it could apply as early as his obsession with trains, LOL.

He knows all about World War II. He knows battles inside and out, especially naval battles. He knows the names of all these Japanese ships that I can't pronounce. He knows which planes bombed which cities, which planes bombed which carriers, which carriers were sunk. My mind boggles at the thought of sorting and storing all this info. He lives and breathes WWII. He creates battles with legos and Matchbox airplanes mimicking WWII battles. He creates HUGE battleships and planes of legos and then destroys them only to rebuild and do it all over again. One of his current favorite books is the Encyclopedia of Military Aircraft of World War II. He also own two other encyclopedias of aircrafts and ships and one on submarines. We went to the neurologist and the doc asked him if he was such a WWII buff what was the name of the plane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. HistoryBoy looks at him and tell hims "That's too easy, It was the Enolagay (I don't think I spelled that right) a B-29 super-fortress." And he then went on to describe the type of bomb dropped and the devastation it caused. My HistoryBoy.

Obsession for HistoryBoy are all cycles. I know I forgot a couple of obsession in there. He went on an animal obsession somewhere in there, I forget where it started and ended. We still own several encyclopedia of animals and alot of books on reptiles, his favorite type of animals. He also liked dinosaurs for a while. Now I should say that I am not saying to anyone that your child should have changed obsessions from one thing to another as mine has, if your child only has one obsession and has stuck with it. That is great or maybe not so great for you, I guess it depends on the subject and your tolerance of it. Maybe HistoryBoy's ADHD has made the difference on that point. I do know that it does not level the intensity with which he obsesses. I do not clain to have all the answers or any of them, I only have one child and that is HistoryBoy and he is my learning curve on the subject. Talk to you tomorrow.

I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave a comment or email me at teenahope@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment