Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'd Rather Bite My Arm Off

It is one of those day. Maybe you have had them. I know HistoryBoy has them. Everything seems fine and then one little thing goes wrong. He does something he isn't supposed to, and needs to apologize. Or he wants something I have and I tell him he needs to ask for it instead of grabbing for it. In school, he tells the aid he has to go to the bathroom, she tell him he has to raise his hand to ask the teacher but he won't.

On these occasions, I have found he would rather bite off his nose to spite his face. One day I told him if he didn't apologize to his friend, we were going home and he couldn't play anymore. He said fine, and then cried all the way home because he had to go home. I told him all he had to do way apologize to his friend at the time. He asked could he go back and play and apologize. I told him it was too late now we were already home but to remember that next time.

If I have a book, or a video in my hand that HistoryBoy want to see and he grabs for it rather than asking for it. I put it out of his reach (that is only going to work so much longer) and make him ask for it. Sometimes this works, a lot of times I get the Fine I didn't want it anyway. I try to explain to him that I am not saying he can't see it. But he just has to ask, but again he would rather not ask.

In school, each child is allowed a bathroom break in the morning and afternoon. You can ask the teacher's aide to go to the bathroom the first time. But, apparently HistoryBoy needed a second trip but had to ask permission from the head teacher. He asked the aide and she told him he had to aide the teacher. He kept saying he had to go bad. He wouldn't raise his hand. He sat their. Biting his lip and fist, rather than raising his hand and asking the question.

Maybe he is embarrassed, I don' t know. But these type of things happen fairly often. He doesn't like being confronted, I do not know if that is the right word. I know that it has, in part, to do with his lack of social skills and his inability to know what to do in a social setting, but I do not know what to do to help since he would rather avoid the situation altogether than confront it. My son would stay at home inside all day if he could and he is only 10! If you have any advice I am open to suggestion! Thanks!

Feel free to leave a comment or email me at teenahope@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment