Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Aspie Obsessions - Part 1

So after yesterday's blog I remembered that I am a mom and while cabana boy would provide a delightful diversion, my Hubby is gone at work 12 hours a day. Who is going to take care of HistoryBoy? So I figured I should head home. LOL. See I am in a MUCH better mood today.

So I decided to start that series of blogs is going to be about HistoryBoy's Asperger's obsesssions. I am not sure if they are made better or worse by HistoryBoy's ADHD. I would like input from others on this if you have any. Thanks.

Why do I call him HistoryBoy? If you know HistoryBoy, you don't have to ask that question or maybe you wonder why I picked this one out of the others I could have.

At 18 months old, he discovered his first love/obsession, Thomas the Tank Engine, so I could have called him ThomasTheTankEngineBoy, but that is a little bit of a mouthful. LOL He saw all the videos, and I do mean ALL, each and every single one of them. He knew when the new ones were scheduled to come out. He reminded us endlessly less we forget and didn't pick it up for him to see. I think I could have recited the videos backwards if I needed to by the time he was through with them. He still likes to watch it sometimes if he is flipping through channels and sees Thomas is on. Thanksfully for my sanity this obsession has ababted. Thomas, James, Percy and the rest used to haunt my dreams with their pranks and life lessons.

He also knew all the books. I think the book/video tie-ins are huge here and he loved them. He first learned them by being read to and watching the videos and then watching the videos that went with the book. He had them memorized. If I skipped a word when reading to him, he corrected me. Then reading them himself once he could read. He had to read EVERY Thomas book that existed. If I new one came out, he had to get it. I had to learn to avoid book sections of store which are my favorite sections for a while. We have thankfully passed the Thomas book stage as well.

Along with the videos and book HistoryBoy knew (and still knows) what year each engine was released as wooden or ertl or tomy brand. He could tell you if the train was re-issued as a special edition. He had to get a Thomas the Tank Engine Wooden Railway Yearbook each year to make sure his collection was up to date and see what had been discontinued. He needed to know, as if it was as important as breathing. The trains were also what he asked for for gifts for Christmas and Birthdays and if he got money, that is what he bought with his money. I think we own enough Thomas trains to build our own train yard. To this day, if there is a new train issued, he has to check it out, and tries to convince me to buy it for him or he saves up his money to buy them. And just when I think this particular obsession has abated and I put the trains away because he is most definately obsessed with something else, he says, "Mom where did you put my Thomas trains?" Sigh...

I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave a comment or email me at teenahope@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment