Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Asperger's is not alone - Part 2 - Anxiety Issues

I though about calling this blog "What does he have to be anxious about?"

Anxiety seems like such an adult word. Most of my friends and family know that HistoryBoy has a mixture of health issues yet when I mention to people that HistoryBoy has anxiety issues. They look at me strangely. "What does he have to be anxious about?" Almost everything, anything can stress him out. What will happen on his TV program if he doesn't see the end? We don't have juice boxes in the pantry, what is he going to have for snack tomorrow? If my two best friends are absent from school who do I play with on the playground?

These don't seem like huge problems. The TV show is most likely on again, or I could record the end of it for it. I can go to the store to buy more juice boxes. He could play with someone else on the playground at lunchtime. But it isn't that simple in an Asperger's world. I wish it was for him. For him, that TV show may never be on again, an he NEEDS to see it end. He knows the only way to get more juice boxes are to go the store but he really doesn't want to brave the supermarket to get more, so what should he do? And as with all Aspies, his social skills aren't quite up to par, so his friends are his comfort zone. They know his, they play with him, they allow him his quirks, how does he approach another kid. (This happened one day this school year, he refused to go to school the next day because he said it was too hard, he sat crying and wouldn't say why) It took him over half of recess to join another group of kids and interact with them.

How can such a small package wrap so much anxiety up inside himself?

No comments:

Post a Comment