Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Saturday, May 28, 2011

HistoryBoy's Insomnia Keeping Me Awake.

If you are my friend on FaceBook, you probably heard the shortened version of this tale.

On Thursday night, HistoryBoy went to bed at his normal bed time, 9 pm. He usually gets into bed around 8:30 and reads for about 1/2 hours but he had been poking around so it was right into bed for him. He fell asleep fairly quickly, he did ask daddy to read him one story before falling asleep but that was ok.

Well around 2 am, I hear this voice. "Mom, Mommy, Mom, can you hear me?" Bleary eyed I walk to him. He is WIDE awake. I put on some music to soothe him and rub his back in the hopes that he wil fall back to sleep as he sits and chatters to me and doesn't want me to leave. He keeps telling me he is not tired, can't he just stay awake, he will do whatever I want. I tell him ok, "Why don't you clean your room for me?" "Ok, Mommy." WOW. He really doesn't want to go back to bed.

I leave him to it for a while, but apparently cleaning his room is NOT a quiet occupation. He bangs around a bit and ends up waking his dad which wouldn't be a big deal on a weekend, but Daddy has a 2 hr commute to work so he has to get his rest. So I go back to HistoryBoy. "Hey Sweetie, why don't you sit down and read for a while." I look around for something soothing and see his children's bible and give it to him. He lies back in bed and sings quietly to himself and begins reading. I head back to bed... again.

It is not 4 am and I hear a voice "Mom, Mommy, Can you hear me?" HistoryBoy is trying to call me softly as he can and not wake his Dad. I stumble go back to him. "Oh, Mommy, I am so glad you came back." He hugs me and gives me a big hug. "Can we work on my homework now?" (HistoryBoy does his homework in the morning before school most mornings because with his ADHD it is just easier. That will not always be the case but for now...) "Uh, now? Ok, if you want to, I will do my best if you need help" He sets to work and I help when he needs it.

Somewhere around 5am I am so bleary eyed that the paper I am staring at makes no sense and this is 4th grade work so I know I am just too tired, so I stand up and say "HistoryBoy I have to go back to bed, I am sorry you can't sleep any more. You are being good, but I can't stay awake any longer. I went and got him a yogurt out of the fridge and a glass of juice and told him he to try to sleep or at least rest.

I climb back into my bed and hear the lilting music of sesame street on the living room TV. What else do you expect to be on this early in the morning? I drift off, after a while I hear transformers. I don't care, it isn't loud enough to keep me awake now.

No comments:

Post a Comment