Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Friday, October 14, 2011

History Boy's Reading List Part 2

As I talked about in my last blog (I apologize or the delay in posting, hopefully I will explain in tomorrow's blog), getting HistoryBoy and most Aspies to read fiction is often difficult. But I did give you some ideas.

Once you get past the Magic School Bus and Magic Tree House. I tried a lot of different stories with him. I finally decided on Encyclopedia Brown. I loved them at his age. What is great about these book if you didn't know is that each chapter is a relatively short story. YOu get about 10 of these short stories contained in one book. The stories are logical with some humor thrown in. You are given all the clues to solve the mystery and them asked how did he solve it.


I will give you a clue to helping your child getting involved in these books. My HistoryBoy doesn't always take to new books at first. Your Aspie might be the same way, however, even at 11, my son LOVES to be read to. He loves to snuggle down and hear a story. I started this a LOOOOONG time ago. I shared my love of Dr Suess with him that way. He still loves to hear Green Eggs and Ham (even if he won't admit it). He snuggled on the other side of me when I have read it to my nephew.



So it doesn't have to be fact, fact, fact for our Aspies to love it. Sometimes, it can just be US that makes them love it. My son wants to read Harry Potter because I loved it, but he wants to read it with me. I said that is fine by me. There will probably be magical mysteries that won't make sense to his logical mind and I am ok with explaining them to him and there are some silliness in the first ones that I am sure he will thoroughly enjoy before they start to get darker.


Right now at bedtime, we are reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid ~ The Last Straw, which is Book 3 in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series. We are reading it together. He can read it on his own and sometimes he does but he enjoys it some much more when he is there laughing beside me. Sometimes I will read to him, sometimes he reads to me and I am making faces or groaning over the kids antics. If this is what it takes to help my son enjoy fiction books, I am all for it.


This school year. HistoryBoy took a WONDERFUL step further, he joined a BOOK club in school where they will read books and DISCUSS them once a week after school. He recieved his first books and it was a fiction book and he had no problem with it. He did ask me if I thought they would read a Titanic book or a WWII book. I told him, he would have to ask the teacher in charge. LOL. That's my HistoryBoy

No comments:

Post a Comment