Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Monday, October 24, 2011

Things You (And I) Can Do to Relax

We all need to pamper ourselves sometimes. Even in these tough economic times, a little pampering can go a loooong way. Stress sucks, and our bodies already take quite a beating from what we and the world puts them through. These are my recommendations for what you can do to pamper yourself. These work for me when I am feeling down on myself and need a pick-me-up and you don't need Lupus to need a pick-me-up or for these to work, although I think sometimes we need an extra pick-me-up ma little more often. These are easy and not too expensive, because we all need to go lighter on the pocketbook these days too.

#1: The easiest and best way to relax is just to do that. Take a nap. Let the rest of the world wait on you. Your body is telling you to rest, so let it. We all know the "oh I can push myself a little more" but listen to your body and give it the break it needs.

#2: Take a nice long soak. There is nothing better for soothing those achy joints than a nice warm (or hot bath). I love soaking in a hot tub. I feel so loose after. It's like a nice warm hug all over my body. Along with the soak, I recommend either some music to relax you or a good book or both. I have sat and soaked for an hour in a bathtub with a good book.

#3: Curling up with a good book is not limited to the bath tub. Take some alone time and get that book you have been wanting to read (or re-read) and just do it. This is all about you, so take the initiative and go or it.

#4: Get a manicure. Believe me, it will be the best $10-20 you spend in a month. For me, it makes me feel pretty. My nails look all nice and healthy. It costs $10 each time and I go every two weeks, just for a manicure, not fake nails or anything. They just trim my cuticles, and make my nails look pretty.

#5: That movie you have been wanting to see. Go see it! I know it can be hard to plan to go to a movie. I know. Especially since it it hard to know how I am going to feel tomorrow, and I know that at least for me nighttime movies are a no-go. I can't sit in a theater when my body would rather be in bed, but most theaters have afternoon showings. That is my "good" time, as long as I have had my nap already, LOL. Sometimes doing something you enjoy makes your body remember you used to enjoy it too. (And sometimes the movie just stinks and you wish to have that 2 hours of your life back but THAT is a whole other issue! LOL)

#6: Too tired to go out, ok, rent a movie. Curl up in your favorite chair or in your bed, by yourself or with whoever you want to and watch that movie you have been wanting to. Who cares if it's someone else doesn't like it. This time is about you and what you want and need to relax and find yourself. Give yourself the time you need to just enjoy.

#7: I'm not always up to it, but a night out always cheers me up. A nice dinner either with my hubby or just my mom and me makes me feels better. Even when I don't feel well, which is most of the time, there is always stuff to be done, like cleaning and laundry, just mundane life stuff that I struggle to keep up with and a night out every once in a while helps me remember me and balance all that. I am not alone, even if I feel it sometimes.

#8: Buy yourself something silly. Don't go crazy or extravagant but if you see a shirt, hat or purse you like and it makes your happy buy it. I wouldn't recommend this on a daily basis but leave yourself a small budget for fun. Don't feel the need to deprive yourself. You will end up feeling more stressed and stress isn't good for anyone but people with Lupus have to be extra careful. Stress can be a trigger.

So all in all my advice is to live more, laugh more, love more. Just relax. Don't sweat the small stuff. We all have enough big stuff to worry about in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment