Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Monday, October 17, 2011

HistoryBoy - The Teen Years - An Early Start

Shoot Me Now. He is 11. Puberty is setting in and I am ready to kill him. He is growing like a week which is ok and acceptable. It is the meltdowns and the mouth I can't talk. This weekend. Well technically, last night, wait was it the night before, yes the night before and this morning. It is all blending together...

To start things all I will say he had a great check up with the Nuero. He said he is doing great and as long as there are no problems stick with what we are doing. And oh by the way is he starting puberty yet? I said He is 11. Doc said "Mom, let me give him a check." He gives HB a physical and says yes and explains the physical changes to me which I could be aware. Since I do not a check on HB I would not know unless he told me something was wrong down there. Although it did kinda go in one ear and out the other, to me what I heard was oh YAY hormones. Great! Here come the fun times. Now that was Thursday.

It is Monday. Did his brain somehow learn that because it had hormones it had to use them to defy his mom? I would have sworn I was dealing with an alien version of my child. Or the Linda Blair exorcist version maybe. We were very nicely going out the door to school when suddenly it became like a war. He wasn't going to school. I was horrible, I was mean. He screwed himself up in a ball on the floor. Finally we are out the door. Now he did wait to scream at me until after we were outside because he knew if he was close enough for me to smack him I would have for mouthing off. He would say something mean and stay on the opposite side of the car from me. He also refused to get into the front seat of the car. He decided it would be in his best interest to sit in the back, away from me.

This yelling settled into an Asperger meltdown that I could make no heads/tails of. When we got to school, I was going to in and get his aide to come out and give me a hand. He says to me "Mom aren't you going to talk to me?" I ask him is that what he wants? He says "Yes" So I go open the back dorr and climb in with him. He wraps his arms around my waist and just cries and says he doesn't know why. I ask Why what? Why did you get so upset? He says "I don't know why. I couldn't help it.

I feel so bad. It shouldn't be so hard for him. He is only 11. How can I help him? I can only do so much, I try to help when I see him struggle but unfortunately at 11, he is faster and stronger than me, if he really had a thrasher meltdown, I can't intervene, I could get really hurt. I see him wanting to bang his head against the wall and he struggles not to do it because I have asked him not to because I don't want him to hurt himself. He is really struggling and I do not want it to be this hard for him this early, because I know it is only going to get harder.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to tell you, it gets worse at 13. As it was explained to me, that is the next phase that the gray matter comes into their brain.
    My son has mood disorder issues - he just started leveling out last year & he is 18.
    13-18 was NOT easy. Deep breath mommy. Plan for a happy place away from your boy if possible & get one for him too....
    Knowing that you can't get stressed - I'm telling you now - my worst flares were during that time span. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer :(

    ReplyDelete