Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Friday, November 15, 2013

Mom, You're a Teacher...

HistoryBoy loves school, normally, but when he is frustrated, his goto response is "Mom, you're a teacher, can't you just be my teacher?" Now I have thought this over many, MANY times. Sometimes I think it would be great, we wouldn't have to stick to an exact timetable.  His learning could be more focused on what he enjoys and still follow the standard curriculum.  It could be fun!

Then I wake up and realize that I am not completely equipped to do this... I am a math teacher.  I am not a English, Social Studies person AT ALL.  I loved science and math in school myself, and while I have NEVER discouraged HistoryBoy's love of history, a lot of it bores me to tears.

I am also not a grammar teacher. I write well now but I do not think that I am equipped to teach it. I hated learning all the extra vocabulary words even if they helped me. P.S.  I have spell check and grammar check on for my writing to help me.

Realize I am not saying I couldn't, I just don't think that it is in his best interest. The teacher in me wants to.  We could have all the cool day trips to learn about stuff.  Philadelphia day trips I always enjoyed to see the History there! I grew up in Woodbury (5 min from where I live now LOL), founded in 1683, a city rich in History. The Battleship NJ is close, museums are close. Several zoos are close by... There is so much we could do if he wasn't in physical school every day.  I could see myself enjoying it and all the time I would spend with him...

Biggest drawback is that HistoryBoy is WAY to dependent on me as it is.  I am his crutch, his security blanket to protect his from the world.  He needs to develop skills to depend on me less not more...  He needs the socialization that school brings, the extra-curricular activities that help him learn to interact with his peers better.  I am not his peer, I can't teach him that.

On the days when I watch him struggle to handle what is going on, the mom in me wants to remove him from the situation and simply protect him.  It's my job right?  Yes, but it is also my job to make sure he grows up to be a wonderful, successful adult who contributes to society, so I have to withdraw myself as his crutch and let him stumble a little, even when it kills me to watch.  Knowing in the long run, it will be better for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment