Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Friday, June 17, 2011

Mom, Why Didn't He Believe Me?

My son has an enormous capacity to store information. Whether it is the length of the Titanic or the plane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, do not disagree with him. He is an authority and with dispute you to the death. I don't dispute him. I stopped when after fact checking him for about the dozenth time to see if he was right and realizing he was I just said ok, my kid knows more than I do about this.

But HistoryBoy got very upset one time. He was talking about boats or planes and WWII. I know I should be more specific but I was only half listening to the conversation since I had heard it before and been lectured on whatever it was before. As parent of an Aspie, you know how it can be. I think we were in a doctor's waiting room. He was telling all of this to another child who I think was only paying attention because he wanted to play with the planes HistoryBoy had brought with him.

Now, the was a man in the waiting room I guess listening to what HistoryBoy had to say. The man tells HistoryBoy that his information was wrong. HistoryBoy says no, XYZ happened just like this. And launches into a whole narrative about some WWII battle. I honestly don't know, I am taking HB's word for it, because, he has read the books and watched the documentaries. Maybe the man was there and has a different point of view but at this point he's just saying HistoryBoy is wrong.

HistoryBoy decides to ignore the man and continues his dialogue with the boy, for which I am glad. I didn't want him to meltdown or shutdown. The man again says that his information is all wrong. What do you expect from dumb kids these days? Now I am ready to put on my mom boots and kick this guy in the head. I don't care what his point of view is, he is being a jerk. Fortunately for the guy we got called to go back to the doctor so I didn't get to kick his butt to make a nasty comment but I really wanted to.

Thankfully all HistoryBoy got out of it was "Mom, why didn't that guy believe me?" I explained to him that not everyone has the same point of view. "But mom I didn't make it up. It is what happened in WWII. I watched the documentaries about the dogfights and battleships" I know honey. Some people just don't understand how someone so small can package so much knowledge. Since you didn't live through it, you can't know it. "Really?" Some people. "oh" But I know you know all kinds I things I don't know, that's lots of people don't know. You are amazing. "I know."

That's my HistoryBoy

2 comments: