Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Saturday, June 4, 2011

More of HistoryBoy and HyperGirl

I recently found out that HyperGirl is the only person in the entire world that HistoryBoy is afraid to say no to. Let me give you the scenario.

My hubby, Angus, loves all stuff techy, so we have a new front door lock that has a key but also a numerical code you can use to enter which is cool. We gave the code to HistoryBoy with VERY strict instruction that he keep the code to himself because we didn't want anyone in the house while we were gone, etc.

Several weeks go by, no problems, then HistoryBoy misses a day of school and we come home from the pediatrician and our front door is ajar and the day's homework assignments are sitting on the sofa. I asked HistoryBoy if he had given the door code to anyone, he said no one, but he wouldn't look at me, which isn't completely unusual but when I asked him to look at me he still wouldn't, so I KNEW something was up.

Ok HistoryBoy, how did HyperGirl get the door code? "Maybe she watched me type it in?" Is that what happened? Look, I am not yelling, I am trying not to get mad, but you need to tell me how she got the code. "She made me tell her" Ok how did she make you, what did she do? "She said if I didn't tell her she wouldn't be my friend anymore."

I took HistoryBoy by the hand and sat him down and I said Do you really think HyperGirl wouldn't play with you anymore? I think she would have gotten mad at you and gone home, sure but tomorrow she would have been back just like always. She was just trying to be bossy like she can be sometimes, right? HistoryBoy thought about it. "She does get mad sometimes and go home, but she always comes back."

I also had a talk with HyperGirl about using her friendship as leverage against HistoryBoy and told her Dad about it so he would talk to her about it too. But they are 10, and testing the waters and up until now HistoryBoy has shared everything with HyperGirl, so she was angry that he wouldn't share this one seemingly small thing with her. But like he said "She does get mad sometimes and go home, but she always comes back." That's what friends do.

I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave a comment or email me at teenahope@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment