Join Our FaceBook Group (Must have FB acct)

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Poolside Problems

HistoryBoy can be so easy going and show so much personality, it is easy to forget he has Asperger's, and then there is a day like yesterday where it is so obvious that he is sometimes in his own world.

We are sitting poolside, well I am sitting in the shade, if I sit in the sun, I feel like I am melting almost instantly, whether that is my Lupus or my medication, I heed its warning. HistoryBoy is playing in the pool by himself with his planes, ignoring the other kids around him, talking to himself. When I go to talk to him, he asks me if I will go with him into the Hot Tub and we both go. He practically sits on top of me which is a *BIG* indicator of the kind of day he is having.

I ask him if he is having a bad day. He shrugs. I ask if he is having a good day. He shrugs. I ask what is wrong. Again, he shrugs. O.K. It is one of those days. He just wants to sit on my lap and be close. Now HistoryBoy is 10, and mostly limbs. He is trying to fit his body which seems to be growing daily onto my lap which seems to be shrinking. I just rub his back and we sit in the bubbling hot water of the Hot Tub, just the two of us. When I am too warm to sit any longer, I tell him it is time to go and he just gets up and goes with me without a question, no argument. (Where is my normal HistoryBoy?)

We go sit by the side of the pool and I wrap him in a towel when he realizes that another child is playing with his planes. He tells me the boy's name is Joseph and he is nice. I ask if he wants to go and play with him. He say yes, so I let him. He starts to interact with Joseph and I see some of glimpses of HistoryBoy peeking out. He laughs and smiles some. I decide to go into the pool and cool off.

In a few minutes, I am being attacked by both boys. Each time I turn my back one of them tries to tickle me or tackle me. I may not be healthy or strong but a 10 and 8 year old in the water are not going to knock me over unless they attempt it together and don't tell them I said that! HistoryBoy is laughing and giggling and being a "normal" happy kid again. I do not know what was wrong but he has let it go or it let go of him.

The knot I had had in my chest all day for him came undone. I hate to see him so wound and upset and not be able to help. It is my job as mom to help and protect him but I can't protect him from himself when it is him own mind/body causing the problem, but I will do my best, as always. He deserves nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment